Do garage door sensors go bad?
Door sensors do go bad, so if no light is showing at all, you may need to replace them.
You can save yourself some time by using the existing wires.
Should both garage door sensors be green?
Look at the sensors, there should be a light on each sensor. If not one of them has probably been bumped or kicked. They should both be green. Just eye them up to look at each other until the lights both come on strong and steady.
How do you test a garage door sensor?
- Measure the height of your garage door sensors.
- Place the box in the garage doorway, making sure the box is in front of the garage door sensors.
- Look at both the garage door sensors.
- Open the garage door and remove the crushed box.
- Clean the lenses with a soft cloth.
- Test the door with another cardboard box.
How does a garage door sensor work?
These garage door sensors work when electricity is transformed into an infrared beam of light. This light is emitted from one side of your garage door from a sending unit that sits 4 inches up from the floor. It sends the beam of light to a receiving unit on the other side of the garage door.