Making simple lifestyle changes can help alleviate symptoms of RLS :
- Try baths and massages. Soaking in a warm bath and massaging your legs can relax your muscles.
- Apply warm or cool packs.
- Establish good sleep hygiene.
- Avoid caffeine.
- Consider using a foot wrap.
What triggers restless leg syndrome?
Restless Legs Syndrome Causes
It might also be tied to: Chronic diseases. Certain long-term medical conditions include RLS symptoms, including iron deficiency, Parkinson’s disease, kidney failure or renal disease, diabetes, and peripheral neuropathy. Medications.
What is the best treatment for restless leg syndrome?
Your doctor will prescribe the best treatment plan for you. Dopamine agonists: These are most often the first medicines used to treat RLS. These drugs, including pramipexole (Mirapex), rotigotine (Neupro), and ropinirole (Requip), act like the neurotransmitter dopamine in the brain.
How do you sleep with restless legs?
Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Move Before Bedtime. What you do in the hours before going to bed could help you sleep better.
- Time Your Medications. Take them before your symptoms act up, Foldvary-Schaefer says.
- Cut Out Alcohol, Caffeine, and Nicotine. They’re known to worsen RLS symptoms, Avidan says.
- Engage Your Mind.